I photograph newborns in their home starting at only a few days old. Home newborn photography sessions are wonderful because in addition to the logistical advantages - parents and baby in their own space as they are just learning to navigate a whole new world - having images in your own home brings an undeniable personal authenticity to the images.
I work mostly with natural light but also carry multiple options for off-camera lighting to use if necessary. My goal for each session is to deliver a gallery includes images of baby alone, baby with any siblings that may be there, with each parent and then of course the whole family. Details of baby features are always captured, usually while being held by a parent because I think that adds so much to an image. I am constantly encouraging interactions between siblings and lots of snuggling for the whole family!
Tips for a successful in-home newborn session
- Contact me before your due date to get on the calendar. I will pencil you in, knowing we have several days in either direction to move if necessary. Newborns change fast, and also tend to be more sleepy and calm in the first two weeks, so it's best to schedule in advance.
- Warm your home before our session starts so that the baby is comfortable without a blanket on - the warm air will help keep them sleepy!
- Don't worry about baby acne, scratches, etc. Editing is included in your session fee.
- Your feeding schedule is probably not yet a schedule - I totally get it! Do your best and know it's OK to take a break to feed baby.
- I welcome any special items you'd like included, but also it's great to keep it simple. One well-fitting onesie will do the trick!
- Parents should wear clothing that contrasts baby's skin tone, so the baby stands out when I use parents as a prop for close-ups, etc. Avoid anything with words or patterns on it.
- Prepare for two hours for your session. It may not take that long, but it's OK if it does.
- Know that I am there to capture image of you and your gorgeous newborn - do not stress about creating the "perfect"scene before I arrive. I will make striking images regardless of toys, baby items. etc. This is real life!
- If you have an active toddler, it's usually best to start with family photographs. Sometimes to get images of the baby alone it's great to have a quiet space and one parent may need to hang with the older kids during that time. One parent should always be in the room with the newborn as they are still just developing hunger cues, etc.
- Pets are absolutely welcome as part of your session, but I leave encouraging pets and babies to get close up to the parents.
- Since 2020, I have a policy of masking around newborns, so please don't be alarmed when I show up in one.
Photographing newborns throughout Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut
I photograph in-home newborn sessions mostly during weekday mornings throughout the year in MA, RI, and CT. I travel throughout Rhode Island for newborn sessions, in my town of Portsmouth Rhode Island as well as Newport, Middletown, Bristol, Barrington, North Kingstown, East Greenwich, Warwick, and all throughout Providence. I also travel to Massachusetts to photograph newborn sessions in my old hometown of Medfield MA, and surrounding towns of Dover, Millis, Medway, North Attleboro, Foxboro, Franklin, Walpole, Newton, Boston, have traveled to photograph newborns as far as Lexington, and cover all surrounding areas.
All images and text ©2005-2023 Jessica McHale Photography.